Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Doing Things Right

Recently I've seen this article being passed around, "An Open Letter to Self-Identified Allies to [Marginalized Group]"  With the last post being about how I couldn't even express how many things were wrong, this article had overwhelmed me with all that was right.  So rather than summarize it, I'll just post the first point of the letter and I hope you will all read and pass this great open letter on!

Remember that your identity as an “ally” is contingent upon the maintenance of the status quo.
In other words, your identity as an “ally” has its basis in the continued oppression of marginalized groups. In the possible future reality of a just world, your identity as an “ally” would be obsolete. Work toward putting yourself out of a “job.” An effective ally’s goal should be toward obsolescence.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you are new to Overlooking Tibet, please read the commenting guidelines before posting.